St. Philip’s Episcopal Church was founded in 1899, and held its first service in a vacant store at 1887 Pacific Avenue in the Weeksville area of Brooklyn. Soon after, a church site at 1610 Dean Street was acquired. In 1944, St. Philip’s moved to its present building, a neo-Gothic edifice accommodating 900 people. In 1945, the Stuyvesant Community Center was established in the adjoining parish house, becoming the first community center in Bedford-Stuyvesant run by and for Blacks. St. Philip’s continues to provide leadership in the religious, social, cultural and economic life of the community. The mission of Saint Philip’s Church is to be a loving, caring and faithful worshiping congregation that is diverse, embracing others and committed to community service.