Connecting Generations to Make a Better Worl
Check Out Our Events & Programs Page for More Information on Current Programming
Including Our Veterans Project and Rites/Rights of Passage Program
Bailey’s Cafe Arts-Based Rites/Rights of Passage Program for Ages 8 to 19 Summer 2016 is Going Strong
Besides great trips to the African Burial Ground and Central Park, the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Bridge Park and other exciting places, we are dancing, singing, playing the guitar, painting, making collages, learning about portraiture, acting, writing, meeting new people and discovery ourselves and our magic!
Black Girl Project: is now based at Bailey’s Cafe! Check out their workshops at: http://blackgirlproject.org/event-grid/
Music for the People Spring Session has Started: New additions: group lessons in piano, Monday evenings at 4 PM; Preschool Rock and Rainbow Lab have joined up on Saturday mornings to offer your little ones (2.5 to 5 years old) movement/dance, visual arts and music; string ensemble workshops and much more. Check out: www.themusicforthepeople.com for all the specifics and to register.
Bailey’s and Music for the People are now collaborating with The Jazz Foundation (https://jazzfoundation.org) to bring free jazz concerts to the neighborhood. Every Thursday in July from 2 PM to 3 PM and our special monthly Neighborhood Concert Sunday, July 17th–this month featuring Clifton Anderson & His Band, 2 PM to 4 PM; Spoken Word with Siphus Steele Music (https://www.facebook.com/SiphusSteele), a Community Sing with Janice Pendarvis (http://janicependarvis.com), 4 PM to 6 PM; and a reception for the Jazz in Art Gallery installation, 5 PM to 7 PM.
Supporting Local Entrepreneurs:
Bubbly Moon Naturals returns to Bailey’s Cafe on Sundays, June 25th, July 30th and August 27th with Do It Yourself natural soap and other body products workshops. For more information: https://www.bubblymoonnaturals.com/products/diysoapclass
We Look Forward to Seeing You at Bailey’s Soon!
Bailey’s Café is a Brooklyn-based, 501(c)(3) charitable organization dedicated to providing creative and collaborative environments to communities across New York City. We create these types of environments through partnerships with local leaders and inter-generational volunteers, all focused on community-building through service and the arts.
We believe in nurturing and guiding individuals in their pursuit of self-knowledge through acting, video making, writing, service, cooking, music, dance, and fine arts. We aim to create an atmosphere of collective awareness, respect and responsibility, built on the talents and resources of the community.
- Relationships are Key: Positive, reciprocal relationship building is a primary part of our process. They are key to individual healing, creativity and community building.
- Inter-generational Matters: In our work and relationships we are always striving to find new ways to “bridge the gap” between all generations and to break down barriers that prevent us from building healthy, peaceful communities.
- Everyone’s Story Counts: Story sharing is fundamental to our creative work; it is a tool for gaining understanding of ourselves, others and the world around us.
- Environment Matters: We respect and nurture our surroundings, the ones we find ourselves in and the ones we create.
- Practice Non Violence in Our Speech and Actions: We strive to model non violence in our work and relationships, between staff, participants, community and our environment.
Events and Programs
Inter-generational Projects and Programs: Community service projects bringing youth and elders together